Wednesday, April 27, 2011

The Summit (of What?)

When I moved to Worcester, a number of my neighbors told me I could do my dry cleaning, get a pizza and gear up for my next outdoor adventure at New England Backpacker at a place called "The Summit."  With street names such as East and West Mountain St., I really built up this image of a mountaintop village in my mind. Boy was I disappointed on my first trip down to The Summit (my Burncoat area residence is at elevation 705 ft., while "The Summit" tops at about 635 ft. or so).

For a long while I could not figure out how this name came about. As I traveled around the area in my car, the name made absolutely no sense. It was only when I was looking at some older maps of the city, and noticed a station labeled "Summit," that the idea that perhaps the railroads had something to do with the name crossed my mind.

According to this history of Worcester by Dr. Coombs, the "Worcester & Nashua Railroad began operations in 1848." Perhaps "The Summit" was the highest point on this new railroad?

Elevation Profile of the Worcester & Nashua Railroad from Union Station to West Boylston
Now that's a summit! I was still curious, though, as to why we had a road named Mountain St. too? Perhaps the "Summit" designation goes back to the days of the stagecoach?

According to Your Worcester St. by Ivan Sandrof, Mountain St. was part of the Sixth Massachusetts Turnpike connecting Boston to Amherst overall and Shrewsbury and Holden locally and "it was so hilly as to be famous in the days of the stage coach." So the Mountain St. names derives from the stagecoach days (the east and west designations apparently due to the fact that The Summit is approximately half way between Shrewsbury and Holden), but what about the idea of this being the "Summit" of the journey between Shrewsbury and Holden?

Elevation Profile of East and West Mountain Sts. from Holden Center to Shrewsbury Center
It tuns out that the Doyle Rd. segment in Holden is higher in elevation than the so called "Summit" by a good 165 ft! So it seems that the Mountain St. designation derives from the days of the stagecoach (the elevation profile does support the hilly nature of the road in Worcester; however, my experience and the above profile seem to support the idea that the hill near St. John's in Shrewsbury is the steepest) and The Summit designation from the days of the railroad.

The turnpike was abandoned long ago, and no passenger trains travel along the railroad today (the railroad line remains active as part of the Pan Am Railways freight network in New England). Some of us even arrive at The Summit by traveling downhill. Perhaps we should update the name to Summit Valley?

3 comments:

  1. Al Reed e-mailed the following comments about this post to me:

    "That's an interesting posting about the Summit.

    West Mountain St was re-aligned about 1980(?) into the four way intersection we are familiar with today (probably coinciding with the building of I-190 in the late 1970s). Previously, West Mountain St. zigzagged up through the neighborhood meeting up with Malden St and together dumping onto Rt 12 north of the railroad tracks where Malden St. currently intersects West Boylston St. Thus, I would guess the route to Holden in the old days was via Malden/Prospect/Shrewsbury Sts. going past Pinecroft Dairy.

    From West Main St. in Shrewsbury, Holden St. branched off West Main St. about where the on-ramp entrance to I-290 east is (not far from the old mile marker to Boston on what was then the Boston Post Rd.) A gas station (?) is being built adjacent to this spot currently. Holden St. was re-aligned when I-290 was built in the mid to late 1960s."

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The Sixth Massachusetts Turnpike did follow the Malden/Prospect/Shrewsbury Streets path that Al suggests. This is fairly level from The Summit to Pinecroft, especially compared to the climb up E. Mountain St. Or Mountain Street East, as it seems it was more commonly referred to prior to the bridge over the railroad connecting Mountain Street West to the intersection was opened in 1985. This may have been planed as part of the I190 construction, but 190 was opened through this area at least five years prior.

      Delete
  2. Could it be that when you look at a map of Worcester that the Northern point is in the shape of a mountain peak / summit?

    ReplyDelete